Artefex Unprimed ACM Panels are lightweight but rigid and durable aluminum composite material (ACM)—two strong sheets of aluminum bonded to a solid polyethylene core. The panel is coated on one side with a white polyester coil coating finish and a mill (polished aluminum) finish on the other side. This panel is 3mm thick and is available in sizes from 5 x 7 to 20 x 24 inches. This weather-resistant panel is ideal for a wide range of paint mediums and mounting applications including these:
• Casein tempera
• Egg tempera
• Glue tempera
Artefex ACM panels offer a superior support for painting and mounting compared to wood panels because ACM panels have very low response to environmental changes, such as relative humidity (RH) and temperature. This is a professional panel for painting when primed with acrylic, alkyd or oil-based primers or for mounting canvas and paper.
Preparing the Panel for Mounting and Painting
Note: Use only the coated side of the panel for painting and mounting.
- Remove the protective film from the coated side slowly and carefully to avoid static build-up.
- Pre-clean the panel surface with isopropyl alcohol, using non-colored cloth for best results. It is important not to use solvents, soaps or liquid cleaning materials as they may leave a film residue that can affect adhesion. Additionally, cleaners containing silicone can interfere with adhesion and are not recommended. A 70% solution of isopropyl alcohol is recommended as the only cleaning material.
- Scuff the surface with abrasive paper, preferably using a grain size of 360 grit. Do not grind through the coating to the aluminum metal.
- Remove dust with a lint-free cloth moistened with isopropyl alcohol.
- For coating and mounting, please follow the instructions of the coating or the adhesive manufacturer.
Hints for Better Mounting and Painting Results
- Acclimate the panel to room temperature prior to use—especially when the panel has been stored at low temperature.
- Avoid fluctuating humidity or environments that are too dry—this can lead to static build-up.
- Do not touch panel surfaces with bare hands and do not allow any liquid cleaning materials or solvents (except ethyl or isopropyl alcohol) to dry on the panel surface.
- If the panel has a protective film, this should be removed slowly and carefully to avoid static build-up.
- For best results, sweep the panel surface with ionized air* prior to painting or mounting and consistently apply measures to reduce static build-up.
- Do not subject the panel to heat exceeding a maximum of 80° C (175° F).
* Ions can be added to canned air dusters by using such attachments as Anti-Static Canned-Air Ionizer from Edmund Optics. This attachment adds ions to the flow of compressed air, significantly boosting the performance of canned dusters. It helps to eliminate static electrical charge on the ACM panel surface.